Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Food storage shelves stocked for the winter...

Our own apple tree...



Cael helping pick fruit


Grape juice...


I have been doing alot of canning this year. I am glad to see canning season coming to an end. I love it, but it is alot of work. I hate for any fruit or vegetable to go to waste. Tom's family has a big farm with lots of tomatoes. I did salsa this year for the first time. I must say it turned out great. My parents own an acre of concord(purple) grapes. They planted them when we were young so we could learn to work. We pruned, picked and helped sell them as kids. I love the smell when they are ripe. They make the best grape juice. Cael is addicted to it and his teeth are proof of it(he had alot of dental work last year). Last year we ran out of juice, so this year I bottled 90 quarts. My parents also have fruit trees. They had a good crop of peaches and pears this year. I was really excited about that. I wasn't planning on doing applesauce this year, but my younger sister wanted to learn. We actually had 24 apples on our tiny, "Charley Brown" apple tree. Cael was my little helper this year.

7 comments:

Alison Ward said...

Holy Canoli you've been busy! That all looks so good, I wish I was a canner like you. Sorry to hear about the ward boundary changes and all that, hang in there I'm sure it'll get better! Tell everybody hi for me, I miss you guys!

Misty Anderson said...

Holy crap! I didnt know you were so domestic! Good job!

Jamie said...

Wow I am impressed. The grape juice sounds so yummy. That is really neat that your family grows so much of their own food!

Christy said...

Wow! That's a ton of grape juice! I'll know who to call when Carter is freaking out because we've ran out.

Soosie said...

Dang, I wish I were into canning...very jealous! I love your new blog by the way!!

kellebelle said...

Way to go -- you have been so industrious! I am impressed you can do it without going crazy... I'm not sure the kids and I could handle that. I totally want to drink that grape juice. Mmmmm!

kamikae said...

Amazing! I like canning and have some great memories of using the twisty machine to peal and smash apples for applesauce, husking corn for my mom to cut off the kernels to can them, and a lot of other canning moments. I have slacked lately though. I let my garden grow to weads this year and only canned one batch of jam. I need your ambition.