Saturday, October 4, 2008

EMOTIONALLY EXHAUSTED!!!

Today I went with my parents and 4 siblings down to Fairview to visit my brother who is in a drug addiction rehabilitation center. After years of drug addiction, my brother finally got to the point where he wanted help and decided to check himself into this rehab. We were all thrilled that he finally wanted professional help. He called and invited each one of us to this "family group therapy" day. It is always enjoyable being with the family you grew up with. (Nothing against spouses and kids, but it's nice). Anyway, we were walking into the unknown and I was very nervous and anxious. It was good to see my brother doing well. When we got there we sat in a class for a couple of hours and learned about addictions, relapse, etc. It was very informative. We had lunch and then had group therapy. Talk about scary. I only know what I've seen in the Movies. Anyway, there were four addicts and their families in our group. Of course we were the largest group. (I am the oldest of 7 kids and only 1 sister wasn't there.) We each took a turn telling what emotion we were feeling at the moment. Then each family group took turns having group therapy in a middle circle that we formed. There was a therapist involved in the discussion. We each let my brother know how we felt about him and his addiction and his wrong doings. He then appologized to each of us for different things and situations. Of course there were three big boxes of tissue in the circle with us. It was a very good experience! That may sound crazy, but it was for the situation. I am very glad I was able to go and I wish the best for my brother. But, needless to say I am very exhausted! Both physically and mentally. We were there for 6 hours and travel time was about 3 hours. I should be in bed instead of writing this blog...

5 comments:

Shelley said...

Misty- I have a brother going through the same thing, however he isn't to the point of wanting help. It is a back and forth thing. He was in therapy a while ago, but is now back to his lifestyle. How great that you got to express how you all felt.
p.s. My parents and in-laws have cabins in Fairview!

Christy said...

I am so happy that your family was able to have that experience. My mother's sister had a horrible drug addiction that eventually killed her. She left 3 kids behind. I am so happy that you and your family got to have this opportunity. I hope everything continues to go well for your brother and family.
Oh yeah... on a side note, I'll be back to yoga. I had sick kids for 2 1/2 weeks. NIGHTMARE!!

Misty Anderson said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I had 7 sisters and 1 brother and even though they can drive you absolutely nuts some time it is so good to have them in the time of need! I am sure he thought he was the luckiest person there!

Jamie said...

Your brother is lucky to have such a supportive family - I hope he does well with his recovery - your family has been through a lot!

kamikae said...

Addiction is one of the hardest things to deal with. I have been through so many of those group rehab situations with my x-husband. It is an eye opener and a learning experience! We all have our different trials thats for sure. Emotionally Exhausted is a perfect title!
p.s. It was good seeing you yesterday! :)